Thursday

State of Origin: My Renewed Appreciation For The Irrationality of Sports


Maybe it's because we lived in the United States for the majority of our relationship so far. Or maybe it's because he studied international relations and, ahem, literature at university. Or perhaps it's because he doesn't, at first glance, appear to be any sort of patriot. But last night, for the first time, I discovered (or perhaps it's that I remembered?) my fiance is in fact a full-blooded Queensland boy.

Yes, I'm talking about the way he cheered for the third, deciding game of State of Origin. (For those of you not from Australia, State of Origin is a series of three Rugby League games that have occurred every year since 1980 between two state teams, Queensland [the Maroons] and New South Wales [the Blues]; it's become one of the most popular sporting events in the country.)



 I, for one, have always enjoyed the trio of matches. I still remember how Billy Slater's excellent performance in 2004 won him the title of Man of the Match. But despite the enjoyment I get from watching the Origin games, I've never been a vocal spectator. I even, god forbid, multitask while watching.

Peter, however, proved last night to be an ardently vocal observer.

Clapping, swearing and a slew of "come ons!!!!" (yes those extra exclamation points are necessary) was the order of the evening. He sprung out of his seat and, after the first try was scored by Queensland, jumped up and down before running to the fridge to grab a beer — a Heineken, by they way, which I suppose illustrates where his loyalty ends.

At first I was startled. I'm not used to seeing him scream at the television, with the exception of a Federer tennis match. His second outburst I just stared, not sure what to think. By the third I was genuinely intrigued and positively entertained. There's something refreshing about seeing this unfalteringly rational man get so heated up over a game.

I cannot stress enough the importance of this year's Origin series: Star Queensland player Billy Slater was out with an injury and League legend Darren Lockyer (we often have breakfast at separate tables together in Paddington) retired at the end of last year. But more than that, New South Wales hadn't won a series since 2005.

The game ended wickedly close. Both teams were tied up in the 71st minute with 20 points each, causing Peter to appear genuinely terrified. But when Queensland kicked a one-point field goal in the 75th minute it was all over. Queensland won it's seventh consecutive series 21-20.



Source: AAP
In the end, I was glad to see my soon-to-be husband get electrified over his home team. He can cheer and get angry and completely irrational, and that's okay. (Take, for example, the comment he made when I expressed concern for a player who took a fall: "Don't feel sorry for him, he's New South Wales.") Because despite his unbridled agression for a man he's never met, I know where his emotional irrationality ends. Win or lose, he'll just go to bed and be over it by the time his head hits his pillow.


Still though, I'm happy Queensland won for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogger Profile

Blog Expat: living abroad