Wednesday

Rain, Rain, Go Away


It's been raining here in Southeast Queensland for nearly two days straight. A mix of heavy downpours and gentle but steady dripping have resulted in floods, road closures, and even some home evacuations in a few pockets of the region. And while I enjoy the tranquil sound of rain (especially last night as I watched Nadal in the Australian Open), I wish it would just stop already. 

I realize rain is good, especially in a region that, up until recently, has been in a severe drought. But it was only a year ago that this city was submerged underwater from one of the worst floods ever, and those who experienced the devastation are a little on edge. 


Of course a repeat of what happened last year is highly unlikely, given the situation is different now than it was then. (Last year it rained heavily in the months leading up to the floods. Plus, the dams were so full that water was released from them just days prior, causing water levels to rise around Brisbane. Management of the dams is still under scrutiny and has become an election issue.) 




But even though the scale of this week's drenching won't come close to last year's, friends whose houses were damaged by the 2011 floods would probably like to have at least a year off of worrying if they should pack up again. So please rain, lay off. 

Here are a few snapshots of last year's floods, taken by my dear friend Shae. 

I believe this was taken in Graceville, which was one of the hardest hit areas.


Cleaning up in Rosalie. I live just 2kms from here.
I was lucky enough to be stateside during this disaster, however I wish I had been around to help my friends during the aftermath. It sure was a mess. 

So rain, rain, please go away, come again another day. (Preferably for just a brief shower or two.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blogger Profile

Blog Expat: living abroad