Tuesday

Baby, It's Hot Outside: Christmas in Australia

So I gave in a bought a Christmas tree. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Christmas trees, or Christmas decorations, or good old fashioned holiday cheer. But I'm certainly not one to go overboard. Just a healthy dose of jubilation is good enough for me. The problem is, it just doesn't feel like the holidays to me, and the explanation for this is simple: It's summer down under and the days are longer, hotter, and sweatier. Granted, it's been unseasonably mild so far, but it's summer nevertheless. It's time for sunscreen, singlets, and sunnies; the three Ss are in full swing. Summer time seems to overshadow Christmas time here and it's hard for me to make room for both. 



People often say, "Oh, but you're from California, so it's probably about the same, right?" Um, no. Sure, I'm not used to a wintry white Christmas, where it's essential to roam around in gloves and those dorky ear muffs, but that doesn't mean it's 80-plus degrees and humid. Shorter days and a brisk breeze are the norm, thank you very much, not hot pavement and endless barbecues.


Still, when pressed by a good friend about my lack of tree, I realized I was bordering on Grinchiness, a trait I had no intention of ever displaying. But it's not my tradition to buy a plastic tree, like many Aussies do. (They use them year after year, and most look pretty good, but I need that real pine smell or it's a deal breaker.) And I wasn't about to buy a dead tree either. My mom would often buy a live tree, one that could grow and be planted in the backyard after the season was over. For me, that's the best way to go and makes me feel happier about the whole strange tradition. So I called around to a number of Brisbane nurseries and was surprised to find most of them sold potted, live trees. I decided on a small one, thinking I'd like to watch it grow. It's quirky and beautiful—and absolutely perfect for us.


We decorated while listening to a few classic Christmas tunes. 



I'll move it to a bigger pot in the new year so it can grow a bit higher than my waist.


After we decorated the tree (which took a total of five minutes) I decided to chuck out all my assumptions of what the holidays should be and embrace the traditions of Australia's summer/holidays/festive season. So we fired up the barbecue and sat on the deck, sipping a lightly spiced rosé and lighting citronella candles to keep the mozzies away (they love me.)


At least I was comforted by my poinsettia, a plant that has always symbolized the holidays for me. 


We decided to grill some steak and veggies for fajitas. 


Our homemade marinade seasoned the filling nicely.


Dinner was ready just in time to watch this magnificent sunset. It coloured our little pocket of the world beautifully.


I am opening up to Australia's summertime holiday season (I mean who doesn't love warm weather and barbecues?) but I'm still missing family from down here and look forward to the day they can sit on this deck and take in the sunset with me.

3 comments:

  1. Great post Wendy! The food looks delicious and I do love your little tree. We splurged on a giant nine-foot tree for our house, since I can't have real ones b/c the pets try to eat it and I didn't want to have to buy another year for many years! So I grabbed the biggest one there was, ha.

    Hope you and Peter have a merry holiday!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amber! You decorated your home beautifully and the tree is awesome! I hope mine will grow to be a lot taller over the years, but it certainly looks cute right now :) I hope you're enjoying Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could've joined you at that table. Darling tree. Guess what was delivered at our door today! Wow. Thanks. Wow!
    Anyway, the meaning of Christmas and this time of year is all about love and light. Be glad for your warmth and sunlight and each other. Hugs and kisses...and glad you can't catch my cold this way.

    ReplyDelete

My Blogger Profile

Blog Expat: living abroad