Tuesday

You Spell Traveler, I Spell Traveller

When I first learned handwriting I switched back and forth between my right and left hands. After a while I was told to make a decision. Which hand would I use for the rest of my life? I eventually chose the left and, till this day, I'm not sure why. (I'm also not sure why I had to choose. Surely it would only be an advantage to be able to write with both, don't you think?) What I find interesting is that, apart from handwriting, I still use my right hand for a number of tasks. If I'm using a knife, for example, I slice with my right hand. Apparently I was never really able to relinquish all control of one-handed tasks to my left hand.

And so it will be with spelling. 

After moving to Australia in 2003 I gradually began adopting its British-derived spelling rules. I had to swap for work reasons, and then, a few years later, for University reasons. (I certainly didn't want to lose points for "incorrect" spelling on my essays!) Six years later I moved back to the United States, where I wrote for magazines, and eventually became a reporter. Writing was my bread and butter. It was a conscious effort, but I eventually got back to spelling the way I was originally taught. It's not realise, it's realize, I had to remind myself. 

Still, when writing wasn't work-related, and I was free to just write by my own rules, I noticed that I'd spell some words the British way and other words the American way. This natural inclination to spell both ways is a good metaphor for how I've come to see myself. Having lived the majority of my adult life in Australia, I identify strongly with both countries. And this is reflected in my spelling. Some days I write license, others it's licence. Some days I long for a Christmas break that isn't punctuated by sweltering heat; other days I'm grateful to spend it with my feet in the sand, chowing down on some shrimp prawns. 

Now that I'm back in Australia I'm making the switch again––both with spelling and with living.


Noah Webster
And for you trivia buffs, you can thank Noah Webster (1758-1843) for the American rules. He was a teacher and lexicographer, who some say helped define American culture.  His strong nationalism drove him to write an American spelling book in 1783, in an effort to further distance America from British influence. Centre became center, analyse became anaylze, defence became defense, and so on. Who knew rearranging letters and trading Ss for Zs could help solidify identity? 


2 comments:

  1. I think that proper spelling may be a thing of the past pretty soon. We are amazed at the many errors including grammar that appear in print matter these days. Where have all the editor's gone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, especially in the age of texts, tweets, and social networking. But I'm optimistic. There are still a lot of people who find grammar/spelling important and interesting. You should check out Grammar Girl. She does a podcast and has a book. Very informative and entertaining. I love it! http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/

    ReplyDelete

My Blogger Profile

Blog Expat: living abroad